Action from the last meeting between Panama and Honduras (white jersey) on January 17, 2017, in Panama City, Panama. Honduras won the match, 1-0. (Photo: Imagenes en Costa Rica)
2018 FIFA WORLD CUP
CONCACAF Qualifying -- Final Round, Matchday 6
Date: June 13, 2017
Match: Panama v Honduras
Venue: Estadio Rommel Fernandez – Panama City, Panama
Time: 9:35 p.m. ET
R: Roberto Garcia (Mexico)
AR1: Jose Luis Camargo (Mexico)
AR2: Alberto Morin (Mexico)
4th: Erick Miranda (Mexico)
Panama: Adolfo Machado
Honduras: Mario Martinez
ALL-TIME WCQ SERIES
Honduras leads: 5W-2D-4L (16GF, 9GA)
LAST WCQ MEETING
November 11, 2016: Honduras 0, Panama 1
Fidel Escobar 22’
FIVE MATCH WCQ FORM
CONCACAF QUALIFYING RESULTS
Panama (Overall record: 4W-4D-3L … 9GF, 7GA)
13.11.15 Jamaica v Panama 0-2
17.11.15 Panama v Costa Rica 1-2
25.03.16 Haiti v Panama 0-0
29.03.16 Panama v Haiti 1-0
02.09.16 Panama v Jamaica 2-0
06.09.16 Costa Rica v Panama 3-1
11.11.16 Honduras v Panama 0-1
15.11.16 Panama v Mexico 0-0
24.03.17 Trinidad & Tobago v Panama 1-0
28.03.17 Panama v USA 1-1
08.06.17 Costa Rica v Panama 0-0
Honduras (Overall record: 3W-3D-5L … 10GF, 18GA)
13.11.15 Canada v Honduras 1-0
17.11.15 Honduras v Mexico 2-0
25.03.16 El Salvador v Honduras 2-2
29.03.16 Honduras v El Salvador 2-0
02.09.16 Honduras v Canada 2-1
06.09.16 Mexico v Honduras 0-0
11.11.16 Honduras v Panama 0-1
15.11.16 Honduras v Trinidad & Tobago 3-1
24.03.17 USA v Honduras 6-0
28.03.17 Honduras v Costa Rica 1-1
08.06.17 Mexico v Honduras 3-0
CONCACAF QUALIFYING SCORERS
Panama: Luis Tejada (2); Abdiel Arroyo, Felipe Baloy, Armando Cooper, Fidel Escobar, Gabriel Gomez, Gabriel Torres, own-goal in favor of (1)
Honduras: Romell Quioto (3); Antony Lozano (2); Alberth Elis, Oscar Garcia, Eddie Hernandez, Emilio Izaguirre, Mario Martinez (1)
FINAL ROUND SUMMARY
Panama: After five CONCACAF Hexagonal matches, Panama (4th place: 1W-3D-1L) sits in fourth place, two points behind Costa Rica and the USA. On the very bright side, the Canaleros have conceded only two goals. On the somewhat concerning side, they have netted only twice and shutout four times. No Panamanian forward has found the back of the net in the final round. Striker Luis Tejada leads the side in overall 2018 WCQ scoring with two goals, but each time he scored, Panama lost. In CONCACAF play, if you want to reach a World Cup, you have to win at home and beat the teams below you in the table. Tuesday’s game against visiting Honduras could prove pivotal to Panama’s dreams of competing in Russia 2018.
Honduras: Honduras (5th place: 1-1-3)opened its CONCACAF Hexagonal campaign with a 1-0 loss to visiting Panama. Since then, the ship has been battling to set a steady course. After defeating Trinidad & Tobago, 3-0, on matchday two, it appeared that the Catrachos were ready to make a sustained run to Russia. A three-match winless streak followed, with only a single shot finding the back of the net. While achieving a top-three finish and earning an automatic World Cup berth could prove challenging, Honduras needs to give itself every opportunity of at least securing fourth place, which would send it to a playoff against an Oceania representative. In order for that to happen, beating the current fourth-place side – Panama – would be a step in the right direction.
- Never qualified for a FIFA World Cup.
- Scored one goal or fewer in nine of eleven 2018 WCQs.
- Conceded one goal or fewer in nine of eleven 2018 WCQs, posting seven shutouts.
- 2W-2D-1L in 2018 WCQ home games.
- Luis Tejada scored one goal in each of two 2018 WCQ, fourth-round games v Costa Rica.
- Qualified for three FIFA World Cups, including the last two (1982, 2010, 2014).
- Never won more than five games in three previous Hexagonal appearances.
- In last meeting, defeated Panama, 1-0, in 2017 Copa Centroamericana on Eddie Hernandez’s first-half penalty kick.
- Scored one goal or fewer in five of last six WCQ matches, zero in four of those outings.
- Earned 2017 Copa Centroamericana title by finishing atop six-team table with 4W-1D-0L record.
- Competing in fourth Hexagonal.
ONE MORE THING
- Panama and Honduras are two of three teams that have won only one game in the final round of CONCACAF qualifying for the 2018 FIFA World Cup (Trinidad & Tobago is the other).