Action from the Copa Centroamericana match between Honduras (left) and Costa Rica on January 20, 2017, in Panama City, Panama. (Photo: Imagenes en Costa Rica)
2018 FIFA WORLD CUP
CONCACAF Qualifying -- Final Round, Matchday 4
Date: March 28, 2017
Match: Honduras v Costa Rica
Venue: Estadio Francisco Morazan – San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Time: 5:00 p.m. ET
R: Joel Aguilar (El Salvador)
AR1: Juan Francisco Zumba (El Salvador)
AR2: William Torres (El Salvador)
4th: Mario Escobar (Guatemala)
Costa Rica: Johnny Acosta
ALL-TIME WCQ SERIES
Honduras leads: 10W-6D-5L (37GF, 31GA)
LAST WCQ MEETING
October 11, 2013: Honduras 1, Costa Rica 0
Jerry Bengtson 64’
FIVE MATCH WCQ FORM
Costa Rica: LWWWW
CONCACAF QUALIFYING RESULTS
Honduras (Overall record: 3W-2D-4L … 9GF, 14GA)
13.11.15 Canada v Honduras 1-0
17.11.15 Honduras v Mexico 2-0
25.03.16 El Salvador v Honduras 2-2
29.03.16 Honduras v El Salvador 2-0
02.09.16 Honduras v Canada 2-1
06.09.16 Mexico v Honduras 0-0
11.11.16 Honduras v Panama 0-1
15.11.16 Honduras v Trinidad & Tobago 3-1
24.03.17 USA v Honduras 6-0
Costa Rica (Overall record: 7W-1D-1L … 17GF, 5 GA)
13.11.15 Costa Rica v Haiti 1-0
17.11.15 Panama v Costa Rica 1-2
25.03.16 Jamaica v Costa Rica 1-1
29.03.16 Costa Rica v Jamaica 3-0
02.09.16 Haiti v Costa Rica 0-1
06.09.16 Costa Rica v Panama 3-1
11.11.16 Trinidad & Tobago v Costa Rica 0-2
15.11.16 Costa Rica v USA 4-0
24.03.17 Mexico v Costa Rica 2-0
CONCACAF QUALIFYING SCORERS
Honduras: Romell Quioto (3); Alberth Elis, Oscar Garcia, Eddie Hernandez, Emilio Izaguirre, Antony Lozano, Mario Martinez (1)
Costa Rica: Cristian Bolaños (4); Joel Campbell, Ronald Matarrita, Bryan Ruiz, Johan Venegas (2); Johnny Acosta, Randall Azofeifa, Celso Borges, Cristian Gamboa, Marco Ureña (1)
FINAL ROUND SUMMARY
Honduras: After splitting its opening two games in the CONCACAF Hexagonal, Honduras (1W-0D-2L, 3 points) fell 6-0 to the host USA (1W-0D-2L, 3) on Friday, dropping it from fourth to last in the Hexagonal. The Catrachos had conceded only five goals in their previous six WCQs. Of added concern to Honduras is the fact it has been shutout in three of its last four competition outings.
Costa Rica: After opening qualifying with an unbeaten 7-1-0 record, Costa Rica fell 2-0 to host Mexico on Friday. It was the first time the Ticos were shutout in a World Cup qualifier since a 1-0 loss at Honduras on October 11, 2013 (11 games). Costa Rica, which lost only two games in the Hexagonal for Brazil 2014, had allowed two goals in its previous six WCQs.
- Qualified for three FIFA World Cups, including the last two (1982, 2010, 2014).
- Never won more than five games in three previous Hexagonal appearances.
- Conceded one goal or fewer in five consecutive WCQs prior to 6-0 loss at USA.
- Earned 2017 Copa Centroamericana title by finishing atop six-team table with 4W-1D-0L record.
- Drew 1-1 with Costa Rica in 2017 Copa Centroamericana (Erick Andino 17’)
- Competing in fourth Hexagonal.
- Qualified for four FIFA World Cups (1990, 2002, 2006, 2014), advancing as far as the quarterfinals in 2014, before falling to the Netherlands on penalty kicks (4-3), after a scoreless draw.
- One of three teams to reach each of the previous five Hexagonal editions.
- Drew 1-1 with Honduras in 2017 Copa Centroamericana (Francisco Calvo 59’)
- Seven of last eight WCQ goals scored in second half.