Action from the Copa America Centenario match between USA and Costa Rica (white jersey) on October 11, 2016, in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo: Mexsport)
2018 FIFA WORLD CUP
CONCACAF Qualifying -- Final Round, Matchday 2
Date: November 15, 2016
Match: Costa Rica v USA
Venue: Estadio Nacional – San Jose, Costa Rica
Time: 8:05 p.m. (local)
A: Cesar Ramos (Mexico)
AR1: Marvin Torrentera (Mexico)
AR2: Miguel Hernández (Mexico)
4th: Fernando Guerrero (Mexico)
Costa Rica: Christian Gamboa
ALL-TIME WCQ SERIES
Costa Rica leads: 9W-3D-6L (24GF, 18GA)
LAST WCQ MEETING
September 6, 2013: Costa Rica 3, USA 1
Johnny Acosta 3’; Celso Borges 10’; Joel Campbell 76’ / Clint Dempsey 43’
FIVE MATCH WCQ FORM
Costa Rica: WWWWD
CONCACAF QUALIFYING RESULTS
Costa Rica (Overall record: 6W-1D-0L … 13GF, 3 GA)
13.11.15 Costa Rica v Haiti 1-0
17.11.15 Panama v Costa Rica 1-2
25.03.16 Jamaica v Costa Rica 1-1
29.03.16 Costa Rica v Jamaica 3-0
02.09.16 Haiti v Costa Rica 0-1
06.09.16 Costa Rica v Panama 3-1
11.11.16 Trinidad & Tobago v Costa Rica 0-2
USA (Overall record: 4W-1D-2L … 21GF, 5GA)
13.11.15 USA v St. Vincent & the Grenadines 6-1
17.11.15 Trinidad & Tobago v USA 0-0
25.03.16 Guatemala v USA 2-0
29.03.16 USA v Guatemala 4-0
02.09.16 St. Vincent & the Grenadines v USA 0-6
06.09.16 USA v Trinidad & Tobago 4-0
11.11.16 USA v Mexico 1-2
CONCACAF QUALIFYING SCORERS
Costa Rica: Cristian Bolaños (3); Ronald Matarrita, Bryan Ruiz (2); Johnny Acosta, Randall Azofeifa, Celso Borges, Cristian Gamboa, Marco Ureña, Johan Venegas (1)
USA: Jozy Altidore (6); Bobby Wood (3); Geoff Cameron, Sacha Kljestan, Cristian Pulisic (2); Paul Arriola, Matt Besler, Clint Dempsey, Fabian Johnson, Gyasi Zardes, Graham Zusi (1)
FINAL ROUND SUMMARY
Costa Rica: Cristian Bolaños scored a goal and assisted on another as Costa Rica opened final-round play with a 2-0 win over host Trinidad & Tobago on November 11, 2016. The Ticos capitalized on a break down in the Trinidad defense to take a 1-0 lead in the 65th minute as unmarked Bolaños tapped in from close range off a Cristian Gamboa feed. In the second minute of stoppage time, Ronald Matarrita netted an insurance goal after Bolaños provided the final pass.
USA: The USA lost at home to Mexico in a World Cup qualifier for the first time in 34 years, falling 2-1 on November 11, 2016. The result ended a string of four straight 2-0 triumphs by the Americans over their southern neighbor at MAPFRE Stadium in CONCACAF qualifying. Rafael Marquez broke a 1-1 tie in the 89th minute, flicking in a header off a Miguel Layun corner kick. Layun gave the visitor a 1-0 lead in the 20th minute with a deflected effort from outside the box. Bobby Wood scored in the lone U.S. goal four minutes into the second half by using strength and agility to strike after collecting a pass from Jozy Altidore.
- Qualified for four FIFA World Cups (1990, 2002, 2006, 2014), advancing as far as the quarterfinals in 2014, before falling to the Netherlands on penalty kicks (4-3), after a scoreless draw.
- One of three teams to reach each of the previous five Hexagonal editions.
- Has not conceded more than one goal in any of seven 2018 WCQs, posting four shutouts.
- 8W-1D-0L in nine all-time home WCQs v USA.
- Played in every World Cup from Italia 1990 through Brazil 2014 … longest active streak by any CONCACAF side.
- Holds record for most Hexagonal wins (29) and most first-place finishes (3).
- Scored most goals in fourth-round WCQ play (20 … Guatemala #2 with 18)
- Eight of last nine WCQ goals scored in second half.
- Conceded either no goals (four times) or two goals (two times) in last six WCQs.