Miami (Thursday, May 31, 2018) - After months of arduous work by The Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and The Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf), on May 31st, 2018, FIFA announced it has lifted the suspension imposed on the Federacion Nacional de Futbol de Guatemala (FEDEFUT). This action restores all of FEDEFUT’s rights as a FIFA and Concacaf member association.
With the suspension now lifted, all of the national teams and clubs representing FEDEFUT will be able to participate in international competitions. FEDEFUT will also be able to benefit from both FIFA and Concacaf’s assistance and development programs.
As part of the process, FIFA has appointed a Regularization Committee entrusted with running the Federation and completing the reform process. Such Committee will be composed as follows:
- Sr. Juan Carlos Ríos (President)
- Sr. Juan Carlos Plata (Member)
- Sr. Mario Fredy Soto Ramos (Member)
- Sr. Javier Medrano (Member)
- Sr. Ovidio Ottoniel Orellana Marroquín (Member)
In addition, an International Steering Committee has been appointed to oversee and steer the work of the Regularization Committee. Such Committee will be composed as follows:
- Pedro Chaluja (Concacaf and FIFA Council member - President, Federacion Panamena de Futbol)
- Luis Hernandez (Concacaf and FIFA Council member - President - Asociacion Cubana de Futbol)
- Decio de Maria (Concacaf Council Vice President – President - FederacionMexicana de Futbol)
To read the official communication from FIFA, please click here.