CHITRE, Panama – Costa Rica and host Panama each improved to 2W-0D-0L in Central American qualifying for the 2018 CONCACAF Under-17 Women’s Championship with wins on Thursday at the Estadio Los Milagros.
Only the first-place finisher from the four-team, round-robin competition will earn a place in the CONCACAF event that’s scheduled to be held in Nicaragua. That lone spot will be decided Saturday, when the Costa Ricans and Panamanians square off for first place in the finale.
Seven teams have already booked their spots in the CONCACAF event: Bermuda, Canada, Haiti, Mexico, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico and the United States.
CONCACAF.com summaries the action:
2017 CENTRAL AMERICAN UNDER-17 WOMEN’S QUALIFYING
October 24-28, 2017
Estadio Milagros -- Chitre, Panama
October 24, 2017
El Salvador 0, Costa Rica 5
Priscila Chinchilla 7’, 63’; Medolyn Guerrero 21’; Maria Paula Salas 49’ pen; Pamela Gutierrez 67’
Panama 5, Honduras 0
Rosario Vargas 4’; Anuvis Angulo 18’, 61’, 84’; Yasli Atencio 30’
October 26, 2017
Costa Rica 4, Honduras 0
Priscila Chinchilla 8’; Maria Paula Salas 25’ pen; Daniela Contreras 29’; Medolyn Guerrero 31’
- Costa Rica struck for all the goals – each by a different player -- within the opening 31 minutes to post a 4-0 win over Honduras.
- Priscila Chinchilla opened the scoring for the Ticas in a second straight game, giving her a team-best three goals.
- Maria Paula Salas also converted from the penalty spot in a second consecutive outing.
- Medolyn Guerrero became the third Costa Rican to score in both matches, striking in the 31st minute to complete the scoreline.
Panama 2, El Salvador 0
Anuvis Angulo 39’; 67’
- Anuvis Angulo netted multiple goals in a second straight game as Panama defeated El Salvador, 2-0.
- Angulo now has a tournament-best five goals in two matches.
(Games Played-Wins-Draw-Losses-Goals For-Goals Against-Points)
Costa Rica 2-2-0-0-9-0-6
El Salvador 2-0-0-2-0-7-0
REMAINING SCHEDULE (all times local)
October 28, 2017
Honduras v El Salvador, 15:30 p.m.
Panama v Costa Rica, 19:00 p.m.