Position Title: Director of Communications
Reports to: General Secretary
Supports: General Secretariat & President
Oversees: Sports and Corporate Communications, Media Relations & Services, PR and Editorial Content.
Position based in: Concacaf Headquarters Miami Beach, FL
We are “The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football” and one of six continental confederations of FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association). Concacaf serves as the governing body of football in this part of the world. It is composed of 41 national associations united by the passion for football, from Canada in the north to Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana in the south.
Concacaf is committed to develop, promote and manage football throughout the region.
The principal responsibility of this position is to develop, manage and implement all aspects of the Confederation’s communications needs, including, but not limited to Football, Sports Industry, Corporate, Commercial, Political and Social Responsibility areas. The position will require the constant interaction with the General Secretariat, all functional departments of the Confederation, the office of the President as well as clubs, national teams and soccer federations from around the region.
CONCACAF is looking for an experienced, sports Communications professional to lead this area, reporting to the Confederation’s General Secretary. The position has personnel, budget and project management responsibilities and requires strong verbal and written skills (ideally in both English and Spanish), a desire to work as part of a team and the capability to solve problems independently.
- Responsible for developing, implementing and managing the overall communications strategy of the confederation
- Obtain good understanding of the organization's objectives, mission and vision and pro-activeness in generating new ideas for effective communications
- Work closely with key stakeholders on communications initiatives (FIFA, other Confederations, Member Associations, Clubs and Partners)
- Develop and manage communication processes for all Confederation’s tournaments and events
- Oversee the Press Operations and Media Services department
- Ensure a seamless service to media members at all Confederation’s events
- Maintain and enhance all media relations aspects of the confederation
- Manage the planning and implementation of all aspects of the Confederation’s press conferences
- Oversee the Editorial area with a strong focus on the content distribution strategy
- Identify and curate content ideas for media and broadcast consumption for both sports and non- sports specific media outlets
- Manage and grow the existing database of Concacaf history facts and statistics
- Cultivate local influencer network to promote the Confederation in organic ways
- Coordinate efforts with dedicated PR agencies
- Oversee the Corporate Communications and Executive support areas
- Oversee the production of official press releases that cover all aspects of the confederation’s business
- Oversee executive support for speaking engagements and protocol visits, which include timely production of background papers and briefs
- Responsible for developing monthly reports for senior management on media monitoring and activities of the confederations to Member Association
- Provide media KPIs to senior Leaderships to see the impact and evolution of all communication activities.
- Work closely with the Digital department to ensure cohesive messages in our Social networks, as well as improve efficiencies.
- Develop Public Relations strategies for key events, including key focus on assets as Gold Cup, Nations League and Champions League
- Prepare and maintain the Confederation’s crisis management plan
- Travel to Confederation events to manage communication activities when needed
- Perform the duties of a Confederation spokesperson
- Develop and manage the department’s budget
SUPPORTIVE FUNCTIONS: (Secondary to required function)
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the company.
- Works with all other departments to ensure that all communications and public facing materials align with the Confederation’s communications strategy and standards.
- Work with the Commercialization department to develop B2B campaigns that help drive the Confederation’s business
- Other related duties as required
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY:
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that s/he can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities
- Bachelor’s degree 4+ years of experience in Sports Communications
- Multiple years of experience dealing with agencies in the sports/entertainment PR/Communications
- Proven track record of successful Communications and/or PR campaigns
- Proven ability to manage all available communication’s channels, including social media.
- Ability to solve issues in a multicultural environment
- P&L management and strong analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English and Spanish)
- Strong influencing and interpersonal skills, in order to work effectively with clients, internal management/co-workers and partner vendors/agencies
- Ability to create storylines and pitch them to media outlets
- Extensive experience in public speaking roles
- Ability to manage and interact with media members
- Strong customer service culture
- Proven success in crisis management
- Vast knowledge of soccer industry and language
- Prior experience serving as a spokesperson in the industry
- Proven supervisory experience with the ability to hire, manage and mentor staff
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while working as both part of a team as well as independently
- Experience in Politic environment is desired
- Candidate must have the flexibility to travel nationally and internationally for the performance of his/her duties. Approximately travel requirement: 40%-50%
Due to the cyclical nature of the entertainment industry, the employee may be required to work varying schedules including game nights to reflect the business needs of the company.
This job description in no way implies that the duties listed here are the only ones the employee can be required to perform. The employee is expected to perform other tasks, duties and training as dictated by their supervisor.
CONCACAF is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from all backgrounds regardless of race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or any other classification protected by law.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send an updated CV to Jobs@concacaf.org
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and will be required to submit proof of such eligibility.