Position Title: Legal Counsel
Department: Legal and Compliance
Reports to: Head of Legal and Compliance
Position based in: Concacaf Headquarters, Miami
We are The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football, one of six continental confederations of FIFA. Concacaf serves as the governing body of football in this part of the world. It is composed of 41 national associations united by the passion for football, from Canada in the north to Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana in the south.
Concacaf is committed to develop, promote, and manage football throughout the region.
The Legal Counsel will work in a dynamic in-house legal team and will be responsible for various types of legal work, including contract drafting and negotiation, providing practical advice to internal clients, and serving as a “generalist” to all the different departments across our Confederation (such as finance, administration, commercial, football and more), This role partners with outside counsel to establish course of action in important matters, including intellectual property, regulatory and local compliance of our offices, risk mitigation, data collection, and corporate law.
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts with vendors and professionals, such as freelancers, consultants, vendor agreements, licenses, marketing, NDAs, event-related contracts, statement of works, and broadcasting.
- Work with the Finance and Governance departments to assure compliance with internal and external requirements.
- Partner with outside counsel and the in-house legal team to assist on legal matters, including commercial and licensing matters, intellectual property rights and registrations, privacy laws and regulations, legal claims, OFAC compliance, and other legal matters.
- Provide legal advice to the different business units with respect to the organization and hosting of competitions and events in the Concacaf region, as well as to providing other legal and compliance counsel.
- Maintain and update the contract management system, including reviewing material provisions, advising the internal business units of the same, and monitoring compliance.
- Support the Legal department with corporate secretary documentation, filings, audit, and other corporate matters.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY:
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that s/he can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Juris Doctor or equivalent degree and licensed to practice in at least one state in the U.S.A.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in an in-house legal department and/or law firm. Experience in entertainment, sports, or hospitality industries is a plus.
- Strong experience with commercial contract negotiation and drafting.
- Experience interacting with clients and managing or escalating issues as appropriate.
- Ability to identify and limit risk to the organization.
- Skills to work with a high-volume of contracts, sense of urgency, able to identify and articulate issues, offer solutions and follow-through to resolution.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Fluent in English and Spanish / proficiency in French or Dutch is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) is required.
- Flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm and able to operate in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to work independently with limited supervision, and as a part of a team.
- Acute attention to details and commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow.
- Candidate must have the flexibility to travel nationally and internationally for the performance of his/her duties. Approximate travel requirement: 5%
Due to the cyclical nature of the sports and entertainment industry, the employee may be required to work varying schedules including game nights to reflect the business needs of the company.
This job description in no way implies that the duties listed here are the only ones the employee can be required to perform. The employee is expected to perform other tasks, duties and training as dictated by their supervisor.
Concacaf provides comprehensive benefits offerings to all full-time employees. Our benefits are competitive according to market.
Concacaf is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from all backgrounds regardless of race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or any other classification protected by law.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send an updated CV to Jobs@Concacaf.org
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and will be required to submit proof of such eligibility.