Position Title: Director of Legal and Compliance
Division: Legal and Compliance
Reports to: General Secretary
Position based in: Concacaf Headquarters, Miami
We are The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football, one of six continental confederations of FIFA. Concacaf serves as the governing body of football in this part of the world. It is composed of 41 national associations united by the passion for football, from Canada in the north to Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana in the south.
Concacaf is committed to develop, promote, and manage football throughout the region.
The Director of Legal and Compliance is responsible for leading legal, corporate governance and compliance aspects of the General Secretariat. This role will work directly with all departments within the organization, serving as counsel on strategic deals, draft or supervise the drafting of and review all company agreements, provide day-to-day legal advice, manage litigation, manage outside counsel and resolve legal issues that arise in existing commercial and partner relationships. In addition, the Director of Legal and Compliance Officer oversee’s Concacaf’s Compliance Program, which includes evaluating compliance issues and concerns affecting the organization, including compliance with all relevant statutes, rules and regulations and Concacaf’s corporate policies and procedures. The Director of Legal and Compliance will manage across functional team responsible for legal affairs, compliance and corporate governance
- Responsible for managing the Legal and Compliance Division with team across multiple functions including: legal affairs, corporate governance and compliance.
- Lead the legal framework and collaboration with all departments in the drafting of contracts and other company agreements with key stakeholders, commercial partners and vendors.
- Supervise the contract management process and data base with a view to continue to enhance the contracting process and data sharing.
- Manages corporate governance affairs, including maintaining local compliance and regulatory matters of Concacaf entities, including annual filings, state and local filings, and trademark filings and registrations.
- Provide advice and support on football governance related matters when required.
- Lead the Confederations’ compliance program, including oversight of internal compliance policies and procedures and Concacaf’s Partner Code of Conduct and Employee Code of Conduct.
- Liaise with and manage outside legal counsel to manage any ongoing or pending litigation and provide advice to the different business units with respect to the organization needs, including hosting of events in the Concacaf region, OFAC compliance, and other legal matters.
- Prepare, initiate, advocate and effectively present legal points and recommendations.
- Support the ongoing implementation of internal sports/corporate compliance measures (e.g., Safeguarding).
- Liaise with legal personnel at FIFA, other confederations and Concacaf Member Associations.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY:
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that s/he can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Juris Doctor or Law degree and licensed to practice in at least one state in the U.S.A.
- +10 years of relevant experience in related positions advising executive management, board of directors and senior leaders on legal, compliance and corporate matters.
- Deep knowledge of sports and entertainment industry, broadcast, production, entertainment transactions and strong relationships within the industry.
- Extensive negotiating, rights management, contracting and copyright experience.
- Experience leading teams to generate a vision, establish direction, motivate employees, encourage diverse views, and encourage improvement and development.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of sports and entertainment industry agreements, contract law and intellectual property.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) is required.
- Excellent oral and written communications and interpersonal skills.
- Fluent in English and Spanish / proficiency in French or Dutch is a plus.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow.
- Proven track record of effectively working cross-functionally and cross-culturally with partners at all levels, including executive management and other senior leaders.
- Candidate must have the flexibility to travel nationally and internationally for the performance of his/her duties. Approximate travel requirement: 20%
Due to the cyclical nature of the sports and entertainment industry, the employee may be required to work varying schedules including game nights to reflect the business needs of the company.
This job description in no way implies that the duties listed here are the only ones the employee can be required to perform. The employee is expected to perform other tasks, duties and training as dictated by their supervisor.
Concacaf provides comprehensive benefits offerings to all full-time employees. Our benefits are competitive according to market.
Concacaf is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from all backgrounds regardless of race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or any other classification protected by law.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send an updated CV to Jobs@Concacaf.org
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and will be required to submit proof of such eligibility.