Guatemala bounces back for first-ever CUW17 win

Madelyn Ventura (right) scored three goals in Guatemala's 7-0 CONCACAF Women's Under-17 Championship win over Trinidad & Tobago on November 4, 2013, in Montego Bay, Jamaica.  (Photo: Mexsport)


MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica – Like its Central American colleague El Salvador one day earlier, Guatemala earned its first-ever CONCACAF Women’s Championship win on Monday, topping Trinidad & Tobago 7-0 at Catherine Hall Stadium.

Madelyn Ventura was the game’s prominent figure, netting three goals and assisting on two others.

Both teams entered the encounter without any points and already eliminated from contention, but at the conclusion of an entertaining affair, Guatemala sealed a third-place finish in Group B.

After a quick reaction save by goalkeeper Natalie Schaps in fourth minute denied Dennecia Prince a goal and Trinidad a lead, the Guatemalans settled down to play its best football of the competition.

Ventura gave Guatemala a 1-0 lead in the 17th minute, taking a pass from Cindy Granda on the right side of the penalty box and finding the back of the net with her right foot.

In the 25th minute, Mimi Castellanos collected short Trinidad clearance on the left wing and played a neat give-and-go with Ventura.  The United States-based forward poked the ball beyond charging goalkeeper Rebecca Almandoz for her first goal of the competition.

Trinidad nearly split the deficit just before the half-hour mark, when Prince headed a Corel Carmichael corner just over the crossbar.

Guatemala went ahead 3-0 ten minutes after the break.  Trinidad’s Natisha John passed back towards the goal from close proximity, forcing Almandoz to use her hands.  On the resulting indirect free kick, Jeniffer Barrios pounded Ventura’s slight touch over the wall from eight-yards out.

A spectacular run by Aisha Solorzano in the 67th minute put the game out of reach.  The 15-year-old controlled a Kellin Mayen pass at the midfield line and raced towards the Trinidad goal, validating that she reached her destination by depositing the ball into the back of the net.

In less than two minutes, Ventura struck twice to put Guatemala up by six goals.

She lashed home from 15-yards out off the underside of the crossbar in the 74th minute and, eighty-five seconds later, was slipped into box by a delightful feed from Laurent Marwith to finish with aplomb.

Marwith punctuated the scoreline in the 90th minute with her first tournament tally, firing in from 23-yards from the right side with her right foot.

Guatemala had scored only twice in their previous five competition outings, conceding 31 goals over that stretch.  Thoughts of the past, though, were all but forgotten on an historic day for women’s football in that nation.