Monday Jul 08, 2013
HAITI vs HONDURAS
Monday 8 July 2013 – 9:30 p.m. (9:30 p.m. ET), Red Bull Arena, Harrison, New Jersey, USA
PREVIOUS MEETINGS – CONCACAF GOLD CUP
Date -- 04.07.09
Match -- Honduras – Haiti
Site -- Seattle, Wash.
Phase -- Grp B
Result -- 1:0
Honduras – Haiti 1:0 (0:0)
04.07.2009: Seattle, Washington; Qwest Field (A: 15,387)
Carlo Costly 76
Honduras: Escober – O. Chavez, Norales, Lalin, (Welcome 61’), Acevedo, Costly, Palacios, Martinez, Medina, Valladares (Castillo 82’), Espinoza (M Chavez 67’).
Haiti: Zephirin – G Frantz, B Frantz, Brunel, Saint-Preux, Noel (Jerome 76’), Marcelin, Pierre-Richard, Raymond, Vaniel (Aveska 50’), Alexandre (Sampeur 61’).
- Haiti participated in an extensive pre-tournament training camp, playing matches in the Brazil, Canada and the United States.
- Its Gold Cup roster is consists of players on clubs in four different continents.
- Haiti played four matches as part of a pre-tournament camp in Montréal, Québec, prior to the start of the Gold Cup. It defeated FC St. Leonard (2-1), Griffons of SC Mont-Royal of Outremont (2-1) and the Impact de Montreal U2-1 team (2-0), plus played to a 0-0 draw with the Royal Select Beauport.
- Before heading to Canada, Haiti had two quality results in friendlies against European powers, losing 2-1 to Spain in Miami on June 8, then drawing 2-2 with Italy on June 11 in Rio de Janeiro.
11.06.13: Italy – Haiti 2-2
Giaccherini 1; Marchisio 72 -- Saurel 85 pen, Jean-Philippe 90
Haiti: Montrevil - Alcenat, Aveska (Jerome 81), Lafrance (Desmarets 56), Guerrier, Alexandre, Monuma Constant, Herold (Saurel 76), Louis (Joseph 62), Maurice, Saint-Preux (Jean Philippe 70)
CONCACAF Gold Cup
- Haiti is participating in the CONCACAF Gold Cup for the fifth time, after missing out on the 2011 edition.
- It has reached the quarterfinals twice, including in 2009, when it lost 4-0 to eventual champion Mexico.
Gold Cup qualifying
- Haiti qualified for the CONCACAF Gold Cup after securing a place in the 2012 Caribbean Cup semifinals.
- A 1-0 win over host Antigua & Barbuda in its last group game in the final round sealed the group title, a place in the Caribbean semifinals and a berth in the Gold Cup. Jean-Philippe Peguero scored the deciding goal in the 19th minute.
- Haiti lost 1-0 to Cuba in the semifinals, before triumphing in the match for third place, defeating Martinique 1-0 thanks to Leonel St. Preux’s tally four minutes into extra time.
16.12.12: Haiti - Martinique 1-0 (0:0)
Leonel Saint-Preux 94’
Haiti: Montrevil -- Rubin, Jerome, Bertin, Saurel (Monuma Constant 91), Sirin, Brunel, Alexandre, Saint-Louis (Germain 101), Louis (Saint-Preux 76), Jean Philippe Peguero
- Head coach Luís Fernando Súarez brought together his squad on July 1 in Tegucigalpa in advance of traveling to the USA for Gold Cup.
- Honduras included four foreign-based players in the squad: Osman Chávez (Wisla Krakow/POL); Andy Najar (RSC Anderlecht/BEL); Marvin Chávez (San Jose Earthquakes/USA); Jerry Palacios (Alajuelense/CRC).
- Midfielder Luis Garrido suffered a strain to his right adductor in the final training session in Honduras and was replaced in the 23-man roster by Wilmer Fuentes.
World Cup Qualifying
- After six matches in final round qualifying for FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014, Honduras sits in fourth place with 7 points (2 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses; 6 GF, 7 GA).
- The last World Cup qualifier for Honduras came June 18, a 1-0 loss to the USA in Sandy, Utah.
18.06.13: USA - Honduras 1:0 (0:0)
Jozy Altidore 73’
Honduras: Valladares - Arnold Peralta (Boniek Garcia 75’), Velasquez, Montes, Izaguirre; Najar, Wilson Palacios, Claros, Espinoza; Mario Martinez (Marvin Chavez 69’), Costly (Rojas 33’)
Gold Cup Qualifying
- Honduras qualified for the CONCACAF Gold Cup after finishing second in the UNCAF Copa Centroamericana.
- Honduras sealed their berth in the confederation championship after winning Group B by having scored two goals, one more than El Salvador and Panama, after the three teams finished with two points from two matches.
- Honduras defeated Belize 1-0 in the semifinals, before falling 1-0 to Costa Rica in the final.
27.01.12: Costa Rica - Honduras 1:0 (1:0)
Geancarlo GONZALEZ 38’
Honduras: Escober - Beckeles, Bernardez, Juan Carlos Garcia, Arnold Peralta (Welcome 72’), Martinez, Bengtson, Montes, Boniek Garcia, Garrido, Rojas
CONCACAF Gold Cup
- Honduras is participating in the CONCACAF Gold Cup for an 11th time, tied with Canada and Costa Rica for third-most. Only Mexico and the USA have participated in every edition of the tournament.
- Honduras barely missed out on the inaugural title in 1991, falling to the USA on penalty kicks in the final at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.
- Since that appearance, Honduras have yet to reach another Gold Cup final, having lost in the semifinals on three occasions, including a 2-0 defeat by Mexico in 2011.