Action from the Caribbean Club Championship match between Portmore United (white jersey) and host Puerto FC on March 16, 2017, in Bayamon, Puerto Rico. (Photo: Puerto Rico FC)
BAYAMON, Puerto Rico – Ricardo Morris’ late goal powered Portmore United to a 1-0 win over host Puerto Rico FC and propelled it into first place in Group D as first-round play in the 2017 Caribbean Club Championship continued Thursday at the Estadio Juan Ramon Loubriel.
Here are the highlights:
SV Transvaal (Suriname) 4, Scholars International (Cayman Islands) 0
- SV Transvaal bounced back from a 1-0 loss to Puerto Rico FC on Tuesday, striking for three second-half goals to beat Scholars International, 4-0.
- Debolha Akoela (28’), Alessandro Ferreira (48’), Sorencio Juliaans (88’) and Jerry Boldewijn (90’+1) netted in a winning effort.
- Goalkeeper Cherwin Doorson recorded the shutout.
Puerto Rico FC (Puerto Rico) 0, Portmore United (Jamaica) 1
- Portmore United took command in Group D as Ricardo Morris struck in the first minute of second-half stoppage time for a 1-0 win over Puerto Rico.
- The goal was Morris’ second in as many games.
- Goalkeeper Shaven Sean Paul recorded his second straight shutout.
- Portmore United will advance to the finals with a draw against SV Transvaal on Saturday.
Five of the six teams have already earned their places in the finals: two-time defending champion and host Central FC (Trinidad & Tobago), Racing FC (Haiti, Group A), Cibao FC (Dominican Republic, Group B), Grenades FC (Antigua & Barbuda, Group C) and San Juan Jabloteh (Trinidad & Tobago, Group E).
The champion of the Caribbean Club Championship qualifies for the newly re-formatted CONCACAF Champions League, while the second-, third- and fourth-placed clubs will participate in the Confederation’s newly launched club championship for Caribbean and Central American teams, which kicks off in August.
Last year, Central FC defended its Caribbean title by prevailing over fellow Trinidadian side DirecTV W Connection in the final for the second straight year, 3-0.
2017 CARIBBEAN CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP
GROUP D (Estadio Juan Ramon Loubriel – Bayamon, Puerto Rico)
March 14, 2017
Scholars International 0, Portmore United 2
Ricardo Morris 8’; Jermie Lynch 21’
Puerto Rico FC 1, SV Transvaal 0
Hector Ramos 28’ pen
March 16, 2017
SV Transvaal 4, Scholars International 0
Debolha Akoela 28’; Alessandro Ferreira 48’; Sorencio Juliaans 88’; Jerry Boldewijn 90’+1
Puerto Rico FC 0, Portmore United 1
Ricardo Morris 90’+1
Table (Games Played, Wins, Draws, Losses, Goals For, Goals Against, Points)
1.- Portmore United 2-2-0-0-3-0-6
2.- SV Transvaal 2-1-0-0-4-1-3
3.- Puerto Rico FC 2-1-0-1-1-1-3
4.- Scholars International 2-0-0-2-0-6-0
Saturday, March 18, 2017
Portmore United v SV Transvaal
Puerto Rico FC v Scholars International